Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Mitt for President!



It's official...





I hereby endorse Mitt Romney for President. With the news that Fred dropped out of the race, I ordered my bumper sticker yesterday and am now officially supporting Mitt Romney.


Mitt has long been my second choice and moving up with the knowledge that Fred was not going to make it. I listened to an interview last week of Mitt on the Hugh Hewitt show and I was thoroughly impressed. His (Mitt's) depth of knowledge about the complex national security issues of the day, the economy, and China was truly impressive.


Mitt's resume is equally impressive. I hope that his history of turning around companies, organizations, and even Massachusetts will continue in the White House.


Of course I would be remiss in my endorsement for Romney if I failed to mention the alternatives. While my support for Mitt is not a function of my distaste with much of the rest of the field, that displeasure is worth mentioning. Obviously all the Democrat contenders are horrible. But let's consider the Republicans remaining in the race.


I can certainly live with a Rudy Presidency. He is firmly in my second place slot now. I like him. I think he can win. I don't care about his personal position on abortion but I'm wary of his inclinations on guns. I believe he would be strong on the war, taxes, law enforcement, and judges. I think he would make a fine Vice Presidential nominee for Mitt in fact. Maybe AG.


Mike Huckabee is a big-time loser. He would get absolutely clobbered by Hillary. I'm with Rush in that I believe if Huckabee gets the nomination (which he won't) it would destroy the Republican party. (A caveat to follow in another post) I like Mike's support for the Fair Tax but I don't believe it is genuine. But for the Fair Tax to ever get passed it will require Presidential candidates endorsing it and running on it. Just not Huck.


John McCain is simply not a Republican. I heard Hugh Hewitt say of him (and I quote from memory) that he is a great hero, a lousy Senator, and a terrible Republican. So much bad legislation of the last decade bears his name. Let's not forget:


  • opposing the Bush tax cuts of 2001 and 2003

  • restricting free speech, specifically political speech - McCain-Feingold

  • amnesty for illegal aliens - McCain-Kennedy (yes Kennedy!)

  • onerous restrictions and regulations on corporations - McCain-Lieberman

  • opposing outlawing judicial filibusters - The Gang of 14

Again I am with Rush on this, if McCain is the nominee, I'm not sure I can support the Republican party.


And then there's Ron Paul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ron Paul is the FUCKING MAN. Every other candidate is spending our Kid's Kid's future on this extravagant foreign policy, NOT TO MENTION the money the government used that was suppose to be used for our social security and Medical Public Care system. Its such a shame that people far head over heels for a slick talker, and don't use their fucking brains when they cast their vote. We need to elect an economist to tackle inflation LIKE RON PAUL!